Westbrook High School Career Pathways
Welcome to the Career Pathways of Westbrook High School
Students in the Westbrook Public Schools achieve at high levels through a variety of authentic learning experiences that meet their individual needs. Authentic, relevant, and research-based strategies and resources prepare them for the challenges of global citizenship. To support our mission to education, challenge, and inspire all students, we have designed a high school experience to prepare all students for future careers beyond high school, whether they choose to begin their careers after completing a four-year college or university degree, after a two-year college degree, or by entering the military or sustainable employment right after high school.
- Twenty-two individual pathways organized into three broad career clusters
- 12 Advanced Placement (AP) courses
- 8 dual enrollment courses articulated with the University of Connecticut
- Career Connections activities, including job shadowing, internships, guest speakers, industry panels, mock interviews, and resume writing workshops
Westbrook High School offers 22 career pathways, each within one of three career clusters: Advanced Technologies and Sciences; Arts, Business, and Communications; and, Health, Human and Public Services.
Each pathway has required courses and a recommended program of study. Students are encouraged to work with their parents/guardians and counselors to select the best path to graduation, preparing them for college and careers.
The program of study for each pathway includes four components:
- Recommended four-year, sequential pathway courses, each with rigor and relevance to future careers;
- Alignment to post-secondary college and career options;
- Opportunities for Advanced Placement (AP), dual enrollment credits, and industry recognized certifications (where applicable); and,
- Career Connections through internships and job shadowing experiences related to the career field.