Westbrook High School Career Pathways
Welcome to the Career Pathways of Westbrook High School
Students in the Westbrook Public Schools achieve at high levels through a variety of authentic learning experiences that meet their individual needs. Authentic, relevant, and research-based strategies and resources prepare them for the challenges of global citizenship. To support our mission to educate, challenge, and inspire all students, we have designed a high school experience to prepare all students for future careers beyond high school, whether they choose to begin their careers after completing a four-year college or university degree, after a two-year college degree, or by entering the military or sustainable employment right after high school.
The Career Pathways program consists of a variety of pathways that include a wide choice of specialty courses, core required coursework, and an array of elective offerings which all seek to prepare the Westbrook High School graduate with the knowledge and skills required for future success.
- Three pathway clusters with 22 individual pathways
- 14 Advanced Placement (AP) courses
- 8 dual enrollment courses articulated with the University of Connecticut
- Opportunity to earn the Connecticut Seal of Biliteracy
- Career Connections activities, including job shadowing, internships, guest speakers, industry panels, mock interviews, and resume writing workshops
The program of study for each pathway includes four components:
- Recommended four-year, sequential pathway courses, each with rigor and relevance to future careers, and other other recommended courses to support development of pathway knowledge and skills;
- Alignment to post-secondary college and career options;
- Opportunities for Advanced Placement (AP), dual enrollment credits, and industry recognized certifications (where applicable); and,
- Career Connections activities, including business/industry panels, career fairs, college fairs, internships, job shadowing experiences and employment-related workshops (resume writing and mock interviews, for example).